Beauty and physical appearance are concepts that are important to many people. Those that use makeup spend a good amount of time applying and money purchasing makeup. If makeup is not used appropriately around the eyes, it can lead to unpleasant infections or allergic reactions.

If makeup is not used appropriately it can lead to severe eye infections which would defeat the purpose of wearing makeup in the first place. Manufacturers print expirations on their makeup products. The consumer should pay careful attention to these time spans to prevent their favorite products from growing bacteria and fungi. A helpful tip is to write the “open date” on the packaging to keep track of when the product was first opened. In addition, applicators should be cleaned regularly in order to prevent bacteria growth. If there is an infection that is present, all products should be disposed of immediately.

Conjunctivitis, an eye infection that can be transmitted through makeup, is an inflammation of the membrane that convers the eyelid and outer surface of the eye. Sharing cosmetics can allow the transmission of conjunctivitis very easily. One way to prevent this is to not share makeup with others and if you are in a situation where multiple people are using the same product, brushes should be cleaned in between uses or test applicators should be used.

Not all makeup reactions are identified as infectious as some can be allergy related. You may be allergic to a component that is contained within the cosmetic product that you are using. Some common allergens found in cosmetics include nickel, iron oxide, preservatives and fragrances. You should also not rely on “hypo-allergenic” products as there is not a guarantee that the products are free from allergens.

Special caution should be taken for contact lens wearers with makeup. When wearing contacts, it is best to insert your contact lenses and then apply your makeup. You should also consider the type of makeup that is being used. If you are wearing glittery or metallic eye shadows, the glitter can get trapped under your contact lens and cause corneal surface issues. All makeup should be taken off at night before going to sleep.

It is important to follow these very simple precautions while using makeup to keep your eyes healthy and free from infections. If you would like to further discuss your eye health, call 860-233-2020 to speak with one of our eye care specialists today.

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *